The Division of Environmental Law and Conventions (DELC) has as its main task the implementation of Environmental Law and Policies, leading the following functions of UNEP:
- To promote the progressive development and implementation of environmental law to respond to environmental challenges, in particular by supporting States and the international community in strengthening their capacity to develop and implement legal frameworks; and
- To support the implementation of Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) by parties, and facilitate interlinkages and synergies, while respecting the legal autonomy of MEAs and the decisions taken by their respective governing bodies
UNEP and Environmental Law
UNEP mandate in Environmental Law is guided by the Fourth Programme for the Development and Periodic Review of Environmental Law (Montevideo Programme IV) and is based upon the following strategic approach:
- The analysis, review and development of environmental law and policies and the coordination of policies in respond of environmental emerging issues.
- The development of new legal and economic instruments, as well as other policy instruments and institutional frameworks to promote the effectiveness of environmental law and conventions and the strengthening of the already existing.
- The improvement in the coordination of environmental law and policies and the exchange of information in and out the United Nations System.
- The promotion of participation of the private sector, NGO’s and major groups in the development of Environmental Law and the dialogue in environmental policies (Chapter 38, Agenda 21)
- The promotion of the relationship between gender and environment.